Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

On New Cars (or, Waiting For That First Scratch)



I have never liked being told what to do. When I was perhaps four or five I decided it would be a good idea to “wash” my father’s brand new car with sand. I had a grand time “helping” him. I wasn’t alone. Another neighborhood boy had the bright idea first and lured me in. Just imagine the moment my dad saw what we’d done. He was a gentle guy, but on this occasion he couldn’t even talk to me. He just handed me off to my mother. For the rest of that car’s life, it had swirls in the paint. It wasn’t malicious on my part. I didn’t really understand what I was doing. Still, I’m sure that was little comfort to my dad.

Today, I picked up a new car; new to me at least. Shiny red and clean and reliable (I hope). I traded in our well-loved 2002 Jeep Liberty to get it, and actually felt a little pang letting the Old Reliable go. It’s been a fun companion and has seen a lot of Naylor road trips and good times. But these days I am on the road a lot, and public speaking makes me feel anxious enough without the added worry of whether my car will make it.


As I was driving it out of the lot I was being extra careful with it, sort of the way I drove for the first time with my newborn daughter in the car. I’m sure that feeling will wear off quickly. But it reminded me a lot of a fellow I used to work with who, first thing every morning, dumped a half a cup of coffee all over his desk “just to get it over with.” Perhaps I should just go out there and ding it…just to get it over with. Perhaps not. I’m sure it will happen soon enough, with or without my help. Wish me happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment