Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, January 9, 2017

Always Trust Your Cape

I saw this quote the other day: "What defines us is how well we rise after falling." I can relate to this. Since I've been on my scooter I have fallen over about a half a dozen times. Picture this: me, realizing I'm about the lose my balance, then hop-hop-hopping in an effort not to put my foot down.
I trust my balance to be there, as it always has been. Prior to wearing my boot I could close my eyes and stand on one foot for a minute at a time. The extra few pounds on one side seems to have thrown it all off. The 18 inches of snow on the ground has not helped, nor has the extreme cold or the fact that I live in a house with stairs at every turn, but still, no big thing.

Today was my third follow-up appointment, the day when I was to have the pins removed, lose the scooter and begin to use my foot. Alas,  today there will be no "cast off" party. For a moment I lapsed into a pity party instead, when the doctor told me there was a break where healing was supposed to be. Clearly, during one of those balance challenges I put a little too much pressure on my repaired foot. So, it's two more weeks on the scooter.

Mary Chapin Carpenter sings a song that talks about being fearless. Here's the chorus:

He's one of those who knows that life
Is just a leap of faith
Spread your arms and hold your breath
Always trust your cape


It seems I'm trusting my cape a little too much right now, so for the next two weeks I'll be good, and I'll sit quietly and I'll allow my foot to heal. But in every other way...I'm going to do my best to rise well after falling. 







No comments:

Post a Comment